The only way to improve at reading is to do it often. With the help of the BOOK IT! Program, sponsored by Pizza Hut, K-1 students will be "reading their hearts out". This program runs from October 1, 2014 - March 31, 2015. The keiki will have the opportunity to earn a Reading Award Certificate by reading the minimum of 5 books through myON and share a book with the class.
Each child will present one oral Book Share per monthly to their classmates. Modeling will be done in class so they can observe strategies such as maintaining eye contact, good posture, and projecting their voice. For some students, sharing a book is not an easy task. However, if their presentation is practiced at home, they will feel prepared and comfortable. This will be an exciting and useful experience for everyone as it is a fun way to build confidence and allows them to express their own opinions.
Oral Book Shares should include:
- Bring the book to show
- Read the title and the name of the author and illustrator
- Share one illustration from the book and explain why they liked it
Please contact me via email or a note at least one day before your child plans to share her/his book with the class. Mahalo!
Everyone in K-1 will be going crazy over apples in the coming weeks. They will be graphing, tasting, measuring, as well as other activities about America's favorite fruit. One of our class graphs and a little apple craftivity will show their favorite type of apple - Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, or Granny Smith. All students are asked to bring in one of their personal favorite type of apple by Wednesday, September 24th for this connection to apples.
- Monday, September 22nd -Pali Safeway Tour Consent Form and payment due
- Tuesday, September 23nd - Library books due
- Wednesday, September 24th - Your child's favorite type of apple due
- Wednesday, September 24th - Discovery Center Consent Form and payment due
- Wednesday, September 24th - Swimming continues
- Tuesday, September 30th - Pali Safeway Tour