Hope you'll be able to share time with us at our first Presentation of Learning because we want to tell you all about apples!
|This invitation card created with Smilebox|
Aloha kakou Parents,
Arigato gozaimasu for your donations to our Give Aloha PTO Fundraising Project! It is greatly appreciated!
Mahalo for the pictures emailed this past week. I can't believe the variety of photos received! They are all incredibly fun to view and priceless. The children are customizing the color of their page and adding their thoughts as we prepare our first digital classbook!
Reading with your child can be one of your best parenting experiences. It will create a lifetime of memories if you make reading aloud a daily habit. Literature will open countless doors for your child too. Research has shown that it:
- Boosts their imagination
- Contributes background knowledge in other subject areas
- Increases their vocabulary and grammar, and has the potential to improve writing skills
- Stimulates creativity
Through Book It!, your child has the opportunity to earn a Reading Award Certificate by meeting a monthly reading goal. The Reading Award Certificate can be redeemed at Pizza Hut for a free, one-topping Personal Pan Pizza to celebrate the reading accomplishment. On the first visit, they will also receive an official Book It! Passport to Reading and sticker to track their reading progress. On subsequent visits, they will get another free Personal Pan Pizza and sticker to add to their passport.
The monthly reading goal to receive this Pizza Hut Certificate is simple. Students will be required to make one oral book share per month to their peers. Modeling will be done in class so they can observe some strategies such as maintaining eye contact, good posture, and projecting their voice. For some students, sharing a book is not an easy mission. However, if their presentation is practiced at home, they will feel more at ease. This will be an exciting and useful experience for everyone as it is a fun way to build confidence and allows them to express their own opinions.
Oral book shares should include:
- Bring the book to show everyone
- Read the title and the name of the author and illustrator
- Explain one part they liked about the book through an illustration
Dates to remember:
- Wednesday, October 2nd - All Library books due
- Wednesday, October 2nd - Grandparents' Day Program in the Temple Annex, 10:00-10:30am. Please have your child wear casual party attire.
- Wednesday, October 9th - Presentation of Learning RSVP due
- Friday, October 11th - Presentation of Learning 'Apples, Apples' in the K-1 Classroom from 8:30-9:30am. Please remember to bring a knife as you will be cutting an apple for your child. (Apples will be provided.)
- Friday, October 25th - October Book Shares to be completed